If you are dealing with data, you will, in one way or another other, need to represent data diagrammatically. One way of doing this is employing the use of a line graph. The chart is able to display data trends over time while emphasizing the rate of change. What you need to have is a column of data and a couple of buttons. Here is how to go about it.
Steps to create a line graph
To create a line graph, you have to
1. Launch excel and open the worksheet that you want to create a line graph
2. Enter your data in an open workbook. Creating a line graph in Excel requires you have data for two axes to make it function well. On the left column, set the x-axis and right column, set the y-axis. i.e., represent Texas’ 2019,2020 and 2021 monthly rainfall data on a line graph
3. Select the data that you want to create a line graph. You just click and drag your mouse from the top left to the bottom right of the data group. In this example, select range A2:D14. Note: the column headers are always included.
4. Click the Insert tab under the main menu tab and select Insert line or Area Chart(Line graph icon) in the Charts Group.
5. Once you have selected the “Line graph icon,” a dropdown menu will appear. Select the line graph with a marker.
6. There you go. You should see a graph window pop up in the middle of your Excel window.
How to customize a line graph
1. Using Design and Format Tabs.
You can be able to modify your line graph depending on your needs. Once you have created the line graph, under the Chart Tools main menu, two tabs, Design and Format tabs, will open. You can use these tabs to change the appearance and design of the graph by clicking the variations of Chart Styles, Chart labels, word art styles, etc.
2. Changing the title of the graph
You can be able to change the graph title easily. What you have to do is double-click the title of the graph. Secondly, click the chart title text. Thereafter, you can text and type in your graph name. This can also be done for the axis title. Then you click anywhere off the graph name, and the title will be saved.
3. Moving line graph chart
You can be able to move the line graph chart or even the specific regions, i.e., title, axis title, chart area, etc. What you have to do is click the whitespace near the top-of-the-line graph chart and move the whole graph. Besides, within the line graph, you can move the specific regions by clicking and dragging.
Editing line graph using chart style, chart element, and chart filters shortcuts
You can use a simple shortcut on the line graph, and you will be able to customize your line graph.
1. Click anywhere in the chart area of the line graph
2. On the right side of the line chart graph, you will see three symbols, i.e., chart element, chart style, and chart filters, respectively.
4. Repeat the same for Chart style and filters. You will see a pop menu. On the pop-up menu, you can click the design on the menu if you want to customize your line graph chart.