While using excel, you need to learn how to present data in your spreadsheets. One of these important skills is inserting, editing, and removing borders in excel. The borders are important so you can separate information like headers and total rows from the rest of the table. Therefore, it is important that you know how to create the exact border you need and even how you should be able to do it efficiently. Here are some ways you can insert, edit or remove outside borders in excel.
1. Launch Excel and open the worksheet that you want to insert, edit or remove outside border
2. Select the cells where you intend to add borders in an open workbook.
4. In the Fonts group, click on the Borders options
5. To insert outside border. Go to Borders>Outside Border. There you have your inserted outside border. Suppose you want to insert Thick outside borders. You repeat the process, but you choose Thick Outside Borders.
Note: You can insert outside borders using shortcuts by selecting the cells you want to put outside the border and selecting CTRL + SHIFT + &. Further, once you have inserted the outside border, you can edit the line style and line color of the outside border.
8. You can remove the already inserted outside borders. Go to Borders>>No Border. You can also remove outside borders using shortcuts by selecting the cells you want to remove outside borders and selecting CTRL + SHIFT + _ (Underscore).
Inserting, editing, and removing outside borders in excel using the draw border command
You can apply the Draw Border Command to easily remove, edit or insert borders to your selected cells.
1. Click on the Home tab of the main menu ribbon.
2. In the Fonts group, click on the Draw Border options
3. You will be able to draw the outside border with the pen cursor. You drag the cursor outside the cells.
Note: once you have drawn the outside border, you can edit the line style and line color of the outside border.
5. To edit the line style. Go to Draw outside Borders>Line style. Then drag the pen cursor outside the cells you want to edit outside the borderline style. There you have your different outside borderline style options. You can choose your favorite line style.
6. To edit the line color. Go to Draw Outside Borders>>Line color. There you have your different outside borderline color options. You can choose your favorite line color. Then drag the pen cursor outside the cells you want to edit outside the borderline color.
7. You can remove the already inserted outside borders. Go to Draw Borders>>Erase Border. With the Duster cursor, click the outside borders around the cells to remove the outside border.
How to add Page Border in Excel
Apart from adding a table border, you can add a page border to make your document more professional.
1. Click on view then>Page Break Preview. (This will preview the excel workbook in terms of pages)
2. You can resize the page to fit your contents by dragging the border
3. Navigate to the home tab, then click on the drop-down arrow on the border icon. Choose the ‘Draw border’ option
4. Use the pencil icon to draw a border around the Excel page
5. Navigate to the print section to preview the Excel table-border
That’s how to insert table and page borders in excel. Use the steps above to change the color or customize the thickness of the page borders. If you wish to remove the border, click on the border icon under the home tab and choose the “no border” option.