One of the most popular questions I always come across is how to move a table in Excel. There are many ways you do that, depending on what you want to achieve. For example, you can move a table with or without formatting. Additionally, you can choose to move it with or without the formula.
No matter where you want to move your table, this tutorial is the right one for you.
Move a table by dragging.
You can easily move a table in Excel by dragging it to any location within the spreadsheet
1. Highlight the table using a mouse or the keyboard shortcut CTRL+A
2. Place the cursor on the bolder on either of the four sides. Make sure it forms an Icon that represents a drag
3. Click and hold using your and slowly drag it to your target location
That’s it, and you have successfully moved the table while preserving the formatting and the formulas.
How to move a table in Excel Down
1. Select all the cells of your table
2. Right-click and select Cut
3. Move down to the target location and select the new cell
4. Right-click and select paste
All the contents of your table will be moved down in Excel
Move a table down by inserting new rows above
Another easy way to move it down is by adding new rows on top
1. Highlight rows equivalent to the number of positions you want to move the table down
For example, in the image above, I have selected three rows.
2. Right-click anywhere on the rows that you have just selected
3. Click insert
Excel will automatically insert new rows hence moving the table further down on the spreadsheet.
How to move a table in Excel to another spreadsheet
If you have a table in one spreadsheet and you want to move it to another spreadsheet, you can easily do it by following these steps.
1. Select the table
2. Right-click and select cut
3. Navigate to the new spreadsheet and select the target location
4. Now right-click and select paste
VIOLA! Your table has successfully been moved from one sheet to another
Shortcut to move a table
You can also move a table in Excel using shortcuts only
1. Place the cursor in any cell of the table
2. Use the shortcut CTRL+A to select the whole table
3. Use the keyboard shortcut CTRL+X to cut all the contents of the table
4. Use the keyboard arrow keys or mouse to move to the new location
5. Use the shortcut CTRL+V to paste the table to the new location.
Congratulations, you have successfully moved your table using shortcuts.
How to move tables in Excel without changing
If you don’t want to change anything in your table, then you need to follow these steps. They will help maintain the formulas and formatting, if any.
1. Highlight and select the table using shortcuts or a mouse
2. Navigate to the home tab and click on a cut (it has a scissors icon)
3. Click on any cell to the location that you want to move the table and click on the paste icon
4. The table will be automatically moved to the new location.
Download Practice Sheet
How to move columns to the left
To move columns to the left in Excel is very easy. You can do it by dragging the columns to the left or deleting some columns.
Move columns to the left by dragging
1. Highlight the columns you wish to move to the left
2. Place your cursor on the left or right border
3. Make sure it creates a drag Icon
4. Drag it to the left. If there is already data in your target location, Excel will ask you if you wish to replace it.
5. Otherwise, you can drag the columns to a new empty location swiftly
Move columns to the left by deleting some columns
1. Select a few columns to the left of the columns you wish to move
2. Right Click and select Delete
The columns immediately after the columns you have deleted will be moved to the left successfully.
How to move columns to the right
There are two ways to move columns to the right. First, you can do it by dragging the columns. An alternative method is to insert new columns to the left.
Hover the cursor to the right border until it creates a drag icon. Click and hold down the Icon as you drag it to a new location. Once you reach the new location, you can release it.
How to drag columns in Excel
You can drag columns in Excel following these simple steps.
1. Select the column or columns you wish to drag
2. Place the cursor on the border of either side until it creates a drag Icon
3. Hold down the Icon, drag and release the columns to the new location
How to drag Rows in Excel
You can drag rows in Excel to new positions
1. Select the rows you wish to drag
2. Place the cursor on the border of the side of either row until it creates a drag Icon
3. Hold down the Icon, drag and release the rows to the new location
That’s how to move a table, columns, or rows in Excel. Choose any method that suits your worksheet. Download the sample file to practice by yourself. If you face any problems, let us know in the comments, and we will help you.