When working in Excel, there may be instances where you need to move, delete, or insert cells in a worksheet. When cells are moved, deleted, or changed in any way, the cells will move alongside the content within the cells. By default, Excel moves and copies all data that is within the cells when moving a range of cells. It is easy to move cells in Excel using different methods.
In our guide below, we give you different steps to follow when moving your Excel cells to the right. Let’s get started.
How to move Excel cells using Drag and drop
It is one of the simplest methods to use when you are moving your cells.
1. In an open Excel worksheet, higlight the cells you wish to move
2. Place the curser on the border.
3. Drag and drop the highlighted range of cells to the place where you want them to be.
Excel prevents any user from moving or copying nonadjacent rows and columns.
Use the Cut and Paste method
1. Select the cells or the range of cells you want to move.
2. Click on the Home tab on the main menu ribbon.
3. Go to the Clipboard group.
4. Click on the Cut icon or use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + X.
5. Select the location (on the right which is the target location) .
6. Go to the Home tab and go to the Clipboard group.
7. Select the Paste icon. You can also use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + V to paste your data to the right of the previous position.
Move cells to the right by inserting a column in Excel
This is a good method when you need to move or shift a large number of cells in a given column.
1. Start by double-clicking the existing column with the cells you want to move. This will select the entire column.
2. Right click then choose Insert from the drop-down menu.
3. The excell cells will be moved to the right
Moving Excel cells by using Copy and Paste method
1. In an open Excel worksheet, highlight the range of cells you want to move.
2. Right-click your cursor and select Copy. You can also use the shortcut Ctrl + X. You can also click on the Home tab, go to the Clipboard group, and click Copy.
3. Go to the right of your worksheet and on an empty cell, left-click your cursor and select Paste. You can also use the shortcut Ctrl + V.
Move cells by using the Shift Cells Right Command
It is by far the most convenient method you can use to shift Excel cells to the right. Here are the steps to follow:
1. In an open Excel worksheet, start by selecting the cell in the range you wish to shift.
2. Right-click your cursor to display a drop-down menu.
3. Choose Insert from the drop-down menu.
4. Choose the option shift cells right in the Insert Dialog box.
5. Press Enter to shift your selected cells to the right.
How to Remove Spaces before Numbers in Excel